Job announcement: Agribusiness/Cooperative Development Consultant
TERM: Part-time, 30 hours a week
START DATE/TIME: 01 February 2017
OPEN TO/ ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: All candidates meeting the required qualifications.
DURATION: 2 years, with 3 months of probation period.
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia, with frequent travel to project implementation marzes of Armenia.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Shen NGO is looking for an experienced Agribusiness/Cooperative development Consultant who will support the target beneficiary Agricultural Cooperatives in establishing sustainably functioning and profitable agribusinesses. The incumbent will be employed by Shen NGO Project “Integrated Support for Sustainable Economic Development in Rural Mountainous Areas of Armenia” funded by the EU.
PROJECT OVERVIEW: Shen NGO, in partnership with village communities of Geghamasar, Areguni and Pambak of Gegharkunik marz and pasture users’ union consumer cooperatives of Shaghat, Angeghakot and Shaki communities of Syunik marz are carrying out the Project “Integrated Support for Sustainable Economic Development in Rural Mountainous Areas of Armenia”. The project aims to contribute to the local economic growth in targeted rural areas by creating sustainable jobs and increasing regional competitiveness in the two clusters of communities.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Project Management, the incumbent will be responsible for
- Studying the targeted cooperatives to understand and analyze their needs and development perspectives;
- Mapping and analyzing the target value chains of raw and processed agricultural products of cooperatives;
- Facilitating the registration process of 3 Cooperatives;
- Provision of assistance and expertise to cooperatives to improve competitiveness of agriculture-related industries and value chains;
- Preparation of a training program on “Management and Administration of Cooperatives” and conduction of trainings for the board members and presidents of the beneficiary cooperatives to build capacities for them;
- Preparation of a training program and delivering trainings on general principles of cooperatives, governance of cooperatives, legal issues according to the Armenian legislation on cooperatives, international best practices in cooperation, etc.
- Provision of support to management of cooperatives in preparation and implementation of strategic development programs, business plans and the Value Chains business models of cooperatives;
- Conducting field visits to monitor the compliance of the set forth goal in forming and developing self-sustained and viable community based cooperatives;
- Work closely with the Marketing Consultant of the Project to provide assistance and expertise to cooperatives to improve the domestic, regional and/or international trade of agricultural products of cooperatives;
- Facilitation and establishment of linkages between the cooperatives and financial institutions;
- Writing analytical reports with recommendations for the project management;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Advanced University Degree in Economics, Business administration, or other related field;
- The candidate should have at least 3 years’ experience in rural development, private sector agribusiness or cooperative business development related work;
- Proven ability to develop strategic development programs and business plans is a plus;
- Proven ability to conduct value chain analysis, policy analysis on agribusiness and cooperatives sector;
- Experience in developing and supporting cooperatives in rural areas is a plus;
- Sound understanding of the sustainable livelihoods development approaches;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Strong presentation and negotiation skills;
- Strong reasoning and analytical skills;
- Flexible thinker with strong time management skills;
- Fluency in Armenian, working knowledge of English and Russian languages.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: To apply for this position, please send your CV to: email@example.com, stating the position title in the email subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for the interview.